Return of the Cyprus Wine Competition, an Update for the Cyprus Wine Sector
As a signal to a much desired return to normality for the Cyprus Wine sector, the 8th Cyprus Wine competition returns with a full agenda of activities co-organised by municipality of Limassol, The SOK (winery proprietors) and the Union of qualified Oenologists.
Since the annexing of the now extinct Cyprus Wine Council and interrupted since 2013, the local quality barometer for Cyprus Wine, makes an official return under the guidance of the department of Agriculture and a wider circle of co-organisers and supporting entities.
The competition judging will be held from the 22nd -24th of April and as in the past, it will be following the procedures of the International Organization for Vine and Wine (OIV), open only to participating wines from Cyprus either as part of the Commandaria protected denomination, the protected geographical indication or specific varietal wines – all of which, will have obtained a certificate of conformity from the ministry to participate.
Update: 8th Cyprus Wine Awards Results
A series of parallel events will be held across the island.
- The continued Cyprus Wine Aroma series by the Cyprus Wine Academy will be further pursued as an itinerant Wine Salon from the 17th until the 20th – to be held in Nicosia, Paphos, Limassol and Paralimni successively
- On going promotion activities and tastings at the Paphos and Larnaca airports 17th-25th April
- Participating hotels and restaurants 17th-25th April
- Wine seminar about Commandaria Wine production and Viticulture – 21st April
- Closing Ceremony & Cyprus Wine Awards – Sunday 25th of April
Exceptionally, all events and celebrations will be held in memory of Oenologist Akis Zambartas, Cypriot Winemaker that passed away last November due to illness. Our particular sparkle in the sky to eternally shine upon us.
The 8th Cyprus Competition Program can be downloaded via the link as seen in the image below